Sunday, August 1, 2010

Another day, another great interview.

Following on from my great interview yesterday, today I have an interview with the people who run the blog Holyoke Home. I stumbled across this blog about a week ago, and after initial concerns that this blog wouldn't be something I'd be interested in, I am HOOKED! It deals with one couple's mission to restore their historic brick row house in Holyoke, Massachusetts. It's a fantastic blog, with regular updates and lots of fantastic pictures) that is starting to amass heaps of followers (lots of them also dealing with the trials and tribulations of renovations) and is another one of Blogger's "Blogs of Note". Thanks Holyoke Home for the interview, and all the best with your renovations.

1. Why did you start your blog?
I started my blog for two reasons. One? Holyoke weaseled its way into my heart while I wasn't looking. My city has a spark, a crackle, a 'something's coming' kind of excitement and potential that's palpable, and I wanted to document it via our experience updating an achingly beautiful historic row house. Two? I really like the sound of my own voice. I really, really like the sound of my own voice. La, la, la!

2. What does your blog offer that others don't?
How do I answer this question without sounding like a supercilious jerk? I'm not sure my blog offers anything special that others don't. But I try - TRY - to tell authentic stories about my experience living, working, and renovating/decorating a home. The most authentic posts are the posts I'm happiest with in the end. I also try to keep the visual 'look' of the blog clean and modern, while maintaining a little character - kind of like our approach to improving our row house. I hope this consistency makes Holyoke Home a blog people like to read and look at.

3. Do you promote your blog? If yes, how
?
- Anytime someone comments on my blog, I always do them the respect of visiting back their blog. I'm not sure this counts as 'promoting' Holyoke Home, but it feels like the right thing to do.
- We were recently a Blogger 'Blog of Note', which was an AWESOME surprise. I tweeted @Blogger once to ask them to consider us, but never expected anything.
- I belong to a blogging group called SITS, which has really helped me grow our audience. I highly recommend SITS if you're a woman who blogs.
- Holyoke Home is on Houseblogs.net and Digg and Stumble Upon and....gosh, probably some more places!
- I comment on the blogs I love - all the time.
- I have a Holyoke Home Twitter feed and Facebook page that are both set up to post an update when a new post does up.
- I tell everyone I meet about my blog.
- I offer to write guest posts for the blogs I love.

4. What are the positive aspects of blogging?
Just like every geographic place I've ever lived, in the blogging world, there are wonderful friends to be made. I really value the people I've met and the inspiration they've provided.

5. What are the negative aspects of blogging?
I have a full time job, so the time involved in growing Holyoke Home can be taxing.

6. What are your future plans for your blog?
My current goal is to add advertisers and sponsors to Holyoke Home in the home purchasing, home renovation and home design categories. Also? I'd like to be on my favorite bloggers' blog rolls.

7. What advice can you give to first time bloggers?
Be yourself, be honest, and let your own voice shine through in your work. That's what I like to read and what keeps me coming back.

Thanks again Holyoke Home, for everyone else, here's a link to the blog:

1 comment: